No, I can’t quite believe it either – an actual update after 18 months of nothing.
Due to various personal factors I haven’t been able to work on any of my old modding tools for a couple of years. I did start porting them to 3D Studio Max 2015 but got about 75% of the work done before life got in the way. Even though I’m not an active modder any more, I still like dabbling with code and as I hadn’t done anything with C++ for a while I decided to revisit my plug-in codebase.
That was a mistake…
A lot’s changed since I last looked at it and I had to re-write a pretty large chunks of code to comply with the latest 3D Studio Max standards and C++11 standards. It took some time but it was an interesting exercise.
As I don’t have as much free time any more and I don’t want to keep mutliple versions of 3D Studio Max and compiler installed, my plan going forward is to try and keep the plug-ins up-to-date, but only to compile newer versions for the latest version of Max. This will keep the workload down to something manageable.
Two plug-ins, SMD Export and Import have had a few updates. The SMD Exporter now has an option to set which UV channel to use for your exported mesh. This might be handy if you use the multi-uv channel approach for packing maps or seamless texture joints.
Also, in Max 2018, I’ve added some code to correctly identify if you’re using a CAT bone, parent or hub and export those as SMD bones. Previously to do this you had to mark the bones as non-renderable so that the mesh of the bone wasn’t exported. Max 2018 should now realise it’s CAT bone and ignore the mesh.
So, off you go – grab the latest versions and let me know how you get on.
Comments are closed.
The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.