I’ve been playing with Max 9 as some of the new features like Animation Layers really appeal to me – very useful for doing player model anims in Source.
However, seems none of the existing Max SMD utilities work with Max 9. Cannonfodder’s plug-ins don’t work at all and seeing as he’s vanished off the face of the planet, it’s unlikely he’ll update them. Also, speaking to the guys over at Wavelength, they’ve lost the source code to their version. :o(
So, stuck with no other choice, I’ve written my own SMD exporter from scratch and it seems to work pretty well so far. I’m releasing it as a Beta though as I’m sure my workflow is different to yours so you may turn up something I’ve missed.
Quick list of what it can do…
- Written for Max 9, 32-bit from scratch using the 3DXI interface.
- Exports either all visible objects or selection only (via Export Selected).
- Supports Standard and Multi/Sub-Object Materials.
- Works with Editable Mesh or Editable Poly geometry.
- Works with Skin or Physique modifiers.
- Supports using helper nodes such as Dummies or Points as bones with the Skin modifier. These are useful for things like weapons or machines where you may need translation movement on a linked bone as well as rotation.
- Exports reference and sequence SMD’s.
- Optional exporting of a sub-range of the animation.
- Optional exporting of the animation reversed.
I’m releasing it as a Beta version because my workflow is different to everyone elses so I can’t test for every situation. If you come across any problems, let me know.
Responses to “3DS Max 9 SMD Exporter Beta”
The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.