Mar. 2, 2005 @ 20:36
Half-Life 1 Ragdoll Physics

A couple of weeks ago, Phillp Searle from the Half-Life Improvement team mailed me to ask about a custom version of my HLMV that their dev team could use for testing their new ragdoll physics system.

Yes, you heard right, ragdoll physics like HL2 in HL1.

Phillip sent me the relevant code over from their development and after about and hour or so I’d managed to plug it all in and try it out and I was very impressed! I asked Phillip if I could post something and he agreed so I made a little AVI of a ragdoll from HLMV.

Bear in mind that this is a shot of the physics system currently in development and they are still tweaking the IK limits for the ragdolls so that joints behave in a more realistic manner – the un-natural bending of the limbs should be fixed by the time their done.

If you want more information and want to see what the guys are up to with their Half-Life enhancements projects, I suggest you check out their forums and website.

Responses to “Half-Life 1 Ragdoll Physics”

Wow, this would definitly make me wanna play HL again 🙂

Posted by killer tomato
Wed, March 2nd, 2005 @ 22:49

Wicked.

Posted by emotaku
Sun, March 13th, 2005 @ 16:57

good idea, will improve mods like NS and HI.

Posted by InflatableBeerTent
Sun, March 20th, 2005 @ 02:09

o_O omg.

Posted by ;O
Sat, March 26th, 2005 @ 09:07

Hmm, I think this looks interesting, is it gonna be implemented in HL update or is it gonna be a download patch? I want to see the source code my self, right now I’m into mod making.

Posted by Jorg40
Tue, April 12th, 2005 @ 15:32

I would love to see this working in game and see what sort of performance hit you get(like the HL particle engines, pretty and slow 🙁 ) If HLI release the source it would make a great addition to some of the more polished HL mods. I for one would love to get my hands on it

Posted by Draco
Wed, April 13th, 2005 @ 04:33

I am on the mod team, I’ll tell u a few details about them. At the moment the performance hit isn’t noticeable and I got a radeon 9600. The ragdolls also have a few other benefits over the hl ones 🙂

These ragdolls bounce off other onces instead of falling through them lol

Posted by The_6th_monkey
Thu, April 21st, 2005 @ 05:28

hmmm sounds cool. any idea of a release date?

Posted by someidiot
Sat, April 23rd, 2005 @ 15:52

Sounds good man.

Posted by Sif
Tue, May 3rd, 2005 @ 11:55

yah you have a release date? bout a website.

Posted by DeathCon
Wed, May 4th, 2005 @ 10:55

there is no release date, and i doubt one will be decided upon in the near future. basically when they see theyre nearing completion, theyre probably gonna publish one, but for now, they still got tons to do.

Posted by random salad